Join us in Veteran’s Park on Saturday, May 13 at noon for a "Bergman/Trumpcare Die-In" (organized by the Houghton County Democratic Party, Houghton/Keweenaw FAM, and Indivisible) to expose the American Health Care Act for the harm it will do, to hold Congressman Bergman accountable to his constituents for the lives that will be lost, and to put the Senate on notice.
If you are not sure what a "Die-In" is , see this how-to guide from Indivisible. As they put it, "A die-in is a form of nonviolent direct action protest where participants publicly pretend to die to highlight a deadly problem."
Here are the details for Saturday’s event:
- Gather in Veteran’s Park at noon this Saturday, May 13.
- Bring a sign shaped like a tombstone–see the photo in this article for ideas (the sign could name a preexisting condition that would no longer be covered, comment on the AHCA, or call out Bergman/the GOP directly). There will be a sign making event in the Michigan Room of the Portage Lake District Library on Thursday, May 11 from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. You can drop in at any time during these two hours to make a sign. We will have supplies on hand. (If you don’t have time to make a sign but would still like to participate in the die-in, please come anyway!)
- The MC will make opening remarks about the AHCA, and then signal that it is time to die (lie down) with the phrase "Here are the consequences." At that point, everyone lies down and holds up their tombstones. (If you are not able to lie down, you could bring a folding chair to sit in or remain standing). Those who are sharing ACA stories should remain standing & lined up next to the MC.
- Around 10 people will share brief (1-2 minute) stories about how the ACA helped them, or about how the AHCA would negatively effect them or people they love. If you would be willing to share a story, please email me at marika.seigel.
- *The MC will make closing remarks, and then signal that it is time to stand with the phrase "We will rise."
I’ve attached the press release for the event. Please join us, and help us spread the word!
Die-In Press Release.docx